Ashes - a Shadow Council RP guild.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A World of Warcraft guild on Shadow Council US server.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Eiko's Ashes Application
Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 1:21 am by Eiko

» Zaleindris- 80 Retribution Paladin
Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 3:32 am by zaleindris

» Ashtotem 80 Elemental Shaman
Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyMon May 11, 2009 6:56 pm by Ashtotem

» Somebodyy 80 Shadow Priest
Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 5:02 pm by Somebodyy

» Application-Phrath- Death knight
Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 8:30 am by Triduana

» Do you wish to delete this Character?
Murphy's Law of WoW EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 3:08 pm by Zebdag

» Patchwerk mechanics: Whoops
Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 4:15 pm by Typhron

» New site (>^_^)>
Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 11:42 am by Durindal

» You greedy pigs... j/k
Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 5:50 pm by Bowstornm

Murphy's Law of WoW

Go down 
+2
Agrivain
Willimina
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Willimina

Murphy's Law of WoW Empty
PostSubject: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 11:59 am

Just for random fun, let's drop in some statements that should go into a Murphy's Lawbook for the World of Warcraft. And if you feel like tellin' a story behind your statement to make it more clear, that'd add even more fun to it.

I have two myself to offer:

1) The item you're looking for in a dungeon/raid will always drop that one time you have to miss a run.
2) Whenever you're trying to quickly run through low level enemies who aren't worth the trouble to attack, one will manage to dismount you.
Back to top Go down
Agrivain
Admin
Agrivain

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:24 pm

3) Whenever you battle rez Typhron, someone more useful will die soon thereafter.
Back to top Go down
Typhron

Typhron

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Agrivain wrote:
3) Whenever you battle rez Typhron, someone more useful will die soon thereafter.

Oh hah hah hah.

How's about 4) the worst aspect of a single peice of Typhron's gear as a whole is somehow made up for another apect in another, or same, peice of gear?
Back to top Go down
Ellyndia
Admin
Ellyndia

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 6:04 pm

5) After a string of mobs, and you're at low health, a pat will always manage to find you and attack. From behind.
Back to top Go down
https://ashes.forumotion.net
Willimina

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 10:48 am

Ellyndia wrote:
5) After a string of mobs, and you're at low health, a pat will always manage to find you and attack. From behind.

You know what? I totally had that happen to me yesterday. >_> Cessaria was going through Hellfire Peninsula, and I caught some Felweed on her minimap so did a detour to go pick it? Well of course the Hellboars that were VERYMUCH SPACED APART sniffed her perfume and decided to race after her. I managed to pick the Felweed with Haathun the Felguard keeping 5 Hellboars off me, then took off running because he wasn't going to last long. Managed to outrun that pack of hellboars with maybe a hit worth of health left? Rounded a corner to a hill and another Hellboar skirted out of nowhere and killed me in that one hit. >_<;; Didn't even have time in between to bandage myself or resummon Haathun.
Back to top Go down
Ellyndia
Admin
Ellyndia

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 10:38 pm

6) Say you have your eye on a rare, but semi attainable boss drop that is a huge upgrade. You will get another upgrade - not as good, but still an upgrade. You'll enchant it, spend lots of money, grind and everything....only to have your original desired upgrade drop for you a few days later.

It has happened with me (for different characters) at least 3 memorable times:

1) Arcanist robes -> Zandalar Illusionist's Robe -> Netherwind robes
2) Gavel of Pure light -> Shard of the Virtuous -> Light's Justice
3) Elemental Mage Staff -> Shadow Wing Focus Staff -> Staff of the Qiraji Prophets
Back to top Go down
Nealith

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 3:43 am

And I've enchanted, or will enchant, each one from the second list.
Back to top Go down
Willimina

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 9:24 am

Ellyndia wrote:
6) Say you have your eye on a rare, but semi attainable boss drop that is a huge upgrade. You will get another upgrade - not as good, but still an upgrade. You'll enchant it, spend lots of money, grind and everything....only to have your original desired upgrade drop for you a few days later.

It has happened with me (for different characters) at least 3 memorable times...

I have a horrible premonition that's going to happen to me with Don Santos' Famous Hunting Rifle. I'm gonna get that guy selling it to give it to me for a reduced price, and then... Wolf's gonna drop the Wolfslayer Sniper Rifle. >_>
Back to top Go down
Ellyndia
Admin
Ellyndia

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 9:30 am

Willimina wrote:

I have a horrible premonition that's going to happen to me with Don Santos' Famous Hunting Rifle. I'm gonna get that guy selling it to give it to me for a reduced price, and then... Wolf's gonna drop the Wolfslayer Sniper Rifle. >_>
I was thinking of you when I wrote that - I don't want you to drop a lot of gold only to get the Wolf gun a few days later. > <
Back to top Go down
Typhron

Typhron

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 10:46 am

Ellyndia wrote:

It has happened with me (for different characters) at least 3 memorable times:

1) Arcanist robes -> Zandalar Illusionist's Robe -> Netherwind robes
2) Gavel of Pure light -> Shard of the Virtuous -> Light's Justice
3) Elemental Mage Staff -> Shadow Wing Focus Staff -> Staff of the Qiraji Prophets

It is for this reason I will NOT buy that Badge Axe, or ever enchant my stuff until I'm DAMN sure the next upgrade is miles away on the time/space continuim.
Back to top Go down
Ellyndia
Admin
Ellyndia

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 11:30 am

Typhron wrote:
.... or ever enchant my stuff until I'm DAMN sure the next upgrade is miles away on the time/space continuim.
You should enchant your stuff. Even if its with crappy green gems, or a low enchant. They make a difference to your DPS and raid performance.

Just, yknow, don't go all out unless you're not going to replace an item (in the foreseeable future)
Back to top Go down
Nealith

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 1:50 pm

Hey man. If you want Gorehowl badly enough you can suck it up and take a hit to your wallet; dailies are every day - the Axe of Hellscream is forever.

Or something equally cool-sounding like that. >.>
Back to top Go down
Willimina

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 11:57 am

Definitely enchant/buff your stuff if you can help it. Even though I'm wearing a bit of Rogue gear that'll be replaced eventually, my agility is up to 629 unbuffed because of milking enchants from Ascilia. That's... 157-158 extra attack power to the raid when I crit against our target. Enchantment ingredients are stuffed in the bank for that reason, dude.
Back to top Go down
Typhron

Typhron

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 3:23 pm

Ashes ate my post..:/

In any case, I'll see what I can do.
Back to top Go down
Sulgaranosh

Sulgaranosh

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 7:31 pm

7) Don't trust strangers; particularly pugs.

Here's one of a million of stories. I stand around in Shattrath for an hour trying to put together a party for Sethekk Halls. As I'm Holy-specced and geared, I myself cannot touch mobs; no solo questing for me. So it's necessary for me to find a group to do anything at this point in time. After about an hour of dealing with people entering then dropping, not mentioning specs, etc etc., I find a group that for some reason or another, has had their healer leave the group.

First bad sign. But, I want those damn shoulders, so I go fourth and enter the group.

First thing I notice upon being summoned in is that the tank is wearing almost all greens. 'Oh well,' I think, 'I'm not. This'll work.'

No.

We end up getting to a mildly-complicated pull and wiping in the second room (fourth pull of the instance). The tank failed miserably at holding aggro so, out of curiosity, I check his spec.

He's fury. Wtf.

I then point out to the party how this kind of crap could fly in old world instancing, but in Outland, you die if you don't have a prot tank. The tank apologizes, blames his gear, and then goes to log on to his pally "cuz he's better at tanking." Cool. This sounds fine. Prot Pallys are normally better for pulls like this, anyway.

But he's not prot.

I then go mad. After spending an hour finding a group, about 45 minutes wiping three times in the second room of an instance, only to find that this guy expects to tank with a ret pally, which for all means and purposes may as well be another fury warrior (yeah, I know that'll offend someone), I can't help but mention to the party that they don't know much about instancing. After pointing this out to them, I leave the group and hearth.

Two hours completely wasted. Don't trust strangers.
Back to top Go down
Ellyndia
Admin
Ellyndia

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 9:49 pm

Quote :
Sounds like a bad time, but I can see it happening. Outlands grinding is designed to be soloable - and upgrades come from (often) green quest rewards or AH buying. You shouldn't expect tanks to be in all blues all the time.

I think though you just got unlucky with a crappy tank who didn't know the instance. A person's spec helps them do a role, but especially in normal instances, doesn't always limit the player. Example: Agrivain leveled his paladin retribution (for the most part), I was shadow. He tanked and I healed a lot of the lower level instances with moderate success. It was only after we got to places like Shadow Labs and Black Morass where our spec was hindering us severely. Sethekk Halls is a 65-68 level instance - you shouldn't have had the problems you had. Of course the moment it goes on heroic all this goes out the window Smile

Minor note: The changes made to +healing gear makes soloing much more doable by healing classes. Try Holy Fire, bubble, then either smite or wand. You'd be surprised that you kill anything. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sulgaranosh

Sulgaranosh

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 7:28 am

Yeah, I was a little harsh in my post. It's just because of time really. I've seen Fury/Arms mixes tank, and I've Shadow healed myself before. I was just angry. Razz

The only combat I do nowadays is dailies, so I just have a preset 1,2,3,4,G of Smite, Holy Fire, Mind Blast, Pain, then wand. Rinse and repeat. And with my mushroom, I get 200 mana every kill. You never need to stop.

Really though. Before they changed how gear was treated for healing/spell damage-it was so god awful balancing intellect and healing out. -Finding- gear with healing was like an epic journey in itself. People are almost spoiled now, except they're not, because things like ZA and Black Temple exist. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Typhron

Typhron

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 9:49 am

Ellyndia wrote:
Quote :
Sounds like a bad time, but I can see it happening. Outlands grinding is designed to be soloable - and upgrades come from (often) green quest rewards or AH buying. You shouldn't expect tanks to be in all blues all the time.

I think though you just got unlucky with a crappy tank who didn't know the instance. A person's spec helps them do a role, but especially in normal instances, doesn't always limit the player. Example: Agrivain leveled his paladin retribution (for the most part), I was shadow. He tanked and I healed a lot of the lower level instances with moderate success. It was only after we got to places like Shadow Labs and Black Morass where our spec was hindering us severely. Sethekk Halls is a 65-68 level instance - you shouldn't have had the problems you had. Of course the moment it goes on heroic all this goes out the window Smile

Minor note: The changes made to +healing gear makes soloing much more doable by healing classes. Try Holy Fire, bubble, then either smite or wand. You'd be surprised that you kill anything. Smile

I'll have you know I tank Black Morass Ret fine. However, that seems to be the exception, not the rule. :/
Back to top Go down
Agrivain
Admin
Agrivain

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 11:35 am

Ret tanking it at 68 with a 68 Shadow Priest healer is another story altogether... ;x
Back to top Go down
Willimina

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 10:21 am

Sulgaranosh wrote:

Suxxors that you had that experience. But! Made-up Murphy's Laws are usually written in the form of ironic happenstances that seem to suggest the universe is out to get you. I would rewrite that as:

7) The PUG you take out of desperation will usually be the PUG that pisses you off the most.

Or something. Anyway! I actually just wanted to add another Law:

8) When you're selling something on the AH, the market will be plentiful and cheap. When you need that same something, it'll be rare and expensive.

This always happens to me when I try to sell gems and pearls on the AH, then turn around and have to buy them as an alt. I try to match the AH market while selling and it's hardly worth AHing half the time. Then, I end up needing a pearl or gem as an ingredient or quest item on another character, and the market has ballooned to a rediculous price I wouldn't pay if I weren't so in need of it. >:O This has definitely taught me to hold onto those little things. Incidentally I have a few golden pearls and black diamonds in case anyone's found this their luck as well. >_> <_<
Back to top Go down
Sulgaranosh

Sulgaranosh

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 9:04 am

You're totally right Will! While I was saving up from my epic mount, I noticed I had some 40-odd brilliant shards in my bank. Ignorantly I went, "Wow, so much money sitting around here!" and threw all of them on the AH.

A week later, I found myself buying a stack at a price far higher than the one I sold mine at. Whoops.
Back to top Go down
Typhron

Typhron

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Willimina wrote:
Sulgaranosh wrote:

Suxxors that you had that experience. But! Made-up Murphy's Laws are usually written in the form of ironic happenstances that seem to suggest the universe is out to get you. I would rewrite that as:

7) The PUG you take out of desperation will usually be the PUG that pisses you off the most.

Or something. Anyway! I actually just wanted to add another Law:

Cool When you're selling something on the AH, the market will be plentiful and cheap. When you need that same something, it'll be rare and expensive.

This always happens to me when I try to sell gems and pearls on the AH, then turn around and have to buy them as an alt. I try to match the AH market while selling and it's hardly worth AHing half the time. Then, I end up needing a pearl or gem as an ingredient or quest item on another character, and the market has ballooned to a rediculous price I wouldn't pay if I weren't so in need of it. >:O This has definitely taught me to hold onto those little things. Incidentally I have a few golden pearls and black diamonds in case anyone's found this their luck as well. >_> <_<

That. Is. True.

Here's one.

9) You will spend more time on your alts then on your mains, no matter the order they were made.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murphy's Law of WoW   Murphy's Law of WoW Empty

Back to top Go down

Murphy's Law of WoW
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ashes - a Shadow Council RP guild. :: Etc-
Jump to: